Sep 8, 2012

Rex Brasher, Connecticut's 20th Century Bird Artist

In an earlier post I mentioned an exhibition at the University of Connecticut of Rex Brasher's prints.  I hoofed it over to the State Museum of Natural History one day after work, had the gallery space to myself, and browsed the collection in a quiet solitude that I imagine the artist himself would have recognized.


The simple display invited close inspection, and I thoroughly enjoyed the ability to stand six inches from the Short-eared Owl to take in the brilliance of the golden eyes and the detail of the fine feathering framing that piercing stare.

Rex Brasher's Short-eared Owl
detail, Short-eared Owl, Rex Brasher, artist
Remember, all of these pieces are black and white lithographs which the artist then hand-colored with airbrush.  When I look at the face of this owl I first see the intense ferocity of the predator and second the artistry that captured that gaze.  A bright reflection in the upper left corner and a simple glaze of gray suggesting the nictitating membrane, together create the curvature and depth of the owl's eye.  Masterful!

Rex Brasher's Red-headed Woodpeckers
Having just worked on my own painting of woodpeckers, I appreciate the thought that goes into this composition.  Two birds are more dynamic than one, a bit of foliage suggests the type of tree the species might favor and the bark detail is inviting but not overwhelming.

detail of the male Red-headed Woodpecker, Rex Brasher, artist
Can I say again - remember - these are black and white lithographs, handpainted.  The planning that goes into such a feat is staggering, and Brasher repeated it how many hundreds of times?  Eight hundred and seventy four species, one hundred sets of prints.

No comments:

Post a Comment